Rev. Gy will help us consider the role of personal responsibility versus the role of society in matters of health.
- ISAAC Virtual BanquetPlease plan to join Rev. Gy, Regena, Miriam, and our interfaith partners at ISAAC (Interfaith Strategies for Advocacy and Action in the Community) at a Virtual Banquet on Thursday, November 11 at 6:00 PM. The meeting will feature keynote speaker, Rev. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson. Dr. Dyson is a Georgetown University sociology professor, an ordained clergy ...
- WE ARE RE-OPENING!We are excited to announce that our building on Shaver Road in Portage will be OPEN for Sunday Services beginning on October 24!! Please plan to join us if you are fully vaccinated. If you are not vaccinated or cannot provide proof of vaccination to our ushers, please plan to stay home and enjoy the service ...
- A Conversation with Roddy BiggsOnce a month we invite special guests to join us at our Thoughtful Thursday gathering to tell us more about the work they are doing and answer any questions we might have. On Thursday, October 21 at 7:00 PM are excited to be joined by mental health advocate Roddy Biggs. Roddy is a Queer, BIPOC, Young ...
- Watch the Sunday Service!All of our Sunday Services are recorded. If you miss joining us on Sunday mornings, you can always view the recordings on our YouTube channel. In these unsettling times, Rev. Gy’s message brings things back in perspective and gives us hope. Follow this link to watch the services you missed.
- Youth Religious EducationUntil vaccinations are available for children, there will be no in-person religious exploration classes for children under 12 held in our building. UUCC children and youth are invited to come to a ZOOM Meet-Up for Youth on select Sundays at 1:00 PM hosted by our Director of Religious Education, Miriam Epskamp. Occasional outdoor in-person ...
- Thoughtful ThursdaysEvery Thursday evening at 7:00 PM we host a virtual meet-up for our members and friends to provide opportunities for connection, learning, and growth. First Thursdays: THEMATIC EXPLORATION THURSDAYS The first Thursday of each month will be dedicated to an exploration of the current spiritual theme. Rev. Gy will have questions prepared to help us consider different aspects ...
- Listen to UsDid you know you could listen to recent Sunday service talks on your phone or computer? Just click on the button “Sermon Archive” and then select the “Recent Audio” option on the left side menu.
I could no longer pretend there was only one path when I knew there are many paths leading to God. I believe the Creator is more inclusive than any of us can imagine. As humans, we look for the assurance of one narrow road to lead us home. Unfortunately, religion tells us the road is reserved only for those who believe and follow that specific doctrine. How can that be true for Christians and for Jews and for Muslims and for Hindis?
In UUCC, I’ve found a home that allows and welcomes my belief of “many paths lead to God”. Our Pastor, Reverend Gy, and guest pastors inspire us with stories and messages from all the major world religions. We, as a spiritual community, believe in Science, protecting our planet and all living beings, and are greatly concerned about Climate Change.
While I was not raised in a politically and socially active home, I understand that protests and rallies are often required to get the attention of the public and policymakers. UUCC is very active and intentional in aligning with change-making efforts for a more equitable and just society for all. The folks at UUCC walk the talk!
On a personal note, I have never found a more welcoming, supportive, and compassionate community. People generously serve in our sponsorship of a Refugee Congolese Family and our quarterly Generosity Sundays – collection plate is given toward a local charity.
Congregants are also empowered to use their passions and talents in any area of their choosing. I enjoy serving on the board, marketing committee, singing in the choir, and will soon be facilitating a monthly Zoom group on “Civil Conversations”.
UUCC is a place for independent thinkers searching for truth who join together to make the world a kinder place. It is the spiritual community my husband and I have chosen to call “home”.