An LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
Unitarian Universalist Community Church is recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association as a Welcoming Congregation. UUCC completed their certification in October 2013 to become the first UU Welcoming Congregation in Kalamazoo County.
- UUCC has conducted congregation-wide training on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- UUCC has updated our bylaws and policies to include non-discrimination clauses.
- UUCC participates annually at the Kalamazoo PRIDE event hosted by OutFront Kalamazoo. As an active supporter of OutFront Kalamazoo, we often designate the proceeds of our Generosity Sunday to support this organization.
- UUCC is a member of the Faith Alliance, a group of concerned faith community leaders seeking full inclusion of, and justice for, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons at all levels of public and religious life.
- Recently our congregation adopted a public statement supporting efforts by the City of Portage to adopt a non-discrimination ordinance protecting LGBTQ rights in the areas of employment, housing and public accommodations.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.