Social Justice Team
The Social Justice Team provides a focus for social justice activities at the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Southwest Michigan. Committee meetings are generally the third Sunday of the month, 11:30am-1pm at UUCC. Everyone is welcome to attend committee meetings and to participate in projects!
Regular activities include
- sale of Fair Trade coffee, tea, chocolate bars and cocoa from Equal Exchange
- screenings and discussions of broadcast programs or films on current affairs
- an annual collection of “Guest at Your Table” donations to the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
- an annual food drive for the local food bank, Loaves & Fishes
- coordinating guests to speak on social justice topics
Stands on Public Issues:
As members of the congregation make requests for the congregation to take a stand on public issues, the Committee reviews the proposed statements and facilitates the process of congressional consideration of the statements. When stands are approved, committee members may have responsibility for writing letters to the editor of the local paper and/or to elected officials.